Sign up for Violette’s Creative Juice Newsletter and get my creative play cards (30 total) designed to jump start your creativity as my gift for you!
Hi all! As my #60in60 challenge continues I have a few more images to add – you can read about the challenge i started around turning 60 in 60 days here.
Here is the first image I created. Before doing the drawing I ask myself what do i most need to hear today? What will my 60 year old self like to focus on? Part of my challenge is living in the past too much or living fearfully in the future. This little drawing reminds me to live in the NOW – like a book i once received written by Ram Das called Be Here Now.
I put the little spider in the cartoon as a toy spider leapt off of a sculpture on the wall while i was drawing. I assumed it wanted to be a part of the picture – that of course sent me on another sideways diversion searching for the symbolic meaning of spiders . Interesting stuff!
When i woke up this morning I asked Spirit what is it I need to hear most today and this is what i got “feel the Fear and do it anyway”. Many of us including me are fearful of numerous things. Some of my fears are of stepping forward, learning new technology, looking stupid, missing out, messing up and not living up to my purpose.
What are some of your fears and what tiny movement can you take to move towards your fears? Please let me know in the comments!
Love, Violette xo
Happy Monday everyone! Hope you had a wonderful weekend! We had a beautiful weekend full of sunshine, yard work and an outside brunch! I just love eating outside don’t you?!
In 60 days I’ll be turning 60. I’m not super cranked about it – i was okay with turning 40 and even 50 but 60……not so much! As a way to commemorate turning 60 (and be more positive about it) I decided (after hearing 60 in 60 in my head) that i would make a small piece of art every day for 60 days until my birthday on June 15. At the end of the 60 days I’ll make these missives to myself into a small book. I’m not sure if the art will be simply words, paintings or doodles…….I’ll just see what shows up!
I told Dale Anne Potter that i was doing this after hearing that she’s turning 60 soon. She said she wanted to do it too but her first 60 days began the very next day. She’s such a trooper and took up the challenge right away! Check out Dale Ann’s art projects here. Thanks Dale Anne for taking up the challenge! #60in60
If you have a milestone birthday coming up why not do the same thing? If you’re turning 30 it could be 30 in 30 or 40 would be 40 in 40, 50 would be 50 in 50! It could be anything – if you’re a quilter you could make a small square a day. Good luck if you decide to join me!
Here’s my friend Barb, my Mom and me enjoying the sunny day!
Mom and Reinhard (my stepdad) soaking up the sun!
My G and good friend Barb saying cheese! We had such a lovely time visiting and eating yummy food.
That’s it for today! See you on Wednesday!
Love, Violette xo
Happy Friday my creative friends!
After all of that worrying about technology the 21 Secrets LIVE spreecast went off without a hitch! I was worried that i would have too much time on the 1 1/2 hour spreecast and not enough art work to share……as it turned out I had to quickly glue down some of the elements at the end of the show as we were swiftly running out of time!
This is what i came up with – Random art journal piece! I ended up adding the words and shading later on as there wasn’t enough time to get to the details.
I wanted to show how you you could add dimension to characters by using pencil crayons.
I don’t know about you but i have difficulty talking and drawing at the same time so i had to have some rough sketches done up ahead of time to ink in while Connie was interviewing me.
A workshop and help for Aspiring Authors!
Connie is a brilliant teacher and facilitator – i just wanted to give you the heads up about her newest class – Painting the Feminine.
Marney Makridakis has done it again – she’s partnered with Marc Allen to help aspiring authors – Do you have a book inside you? Check out this free video about writing a book proposal, by two creative publishing leaders – take a look here! Just to let you know that i am affiliate of Marney’s programs so will receive a fee if you decide to buy this program. I only recommend programs that I believe in.
Hope you have an amazing weekend!
Love, Violette ox
Happy Wednesday everyone!
Today is the 21 Secrets LIVE spreecast and I’m the guest artist for this week. Hooray!
One of my challenges is technology. The thing is everything is changing so quickly in the world that it’s hard to keep up. I think it’s easier for young people to keep up but it certainly is not impossible for more mature people – *ahem to get the hang of things.
So here i am in the above photo this morning with a goofy pair of headsets on trying to get the sound and lighting down right before the show this afternoon. You see the window lets too much light in so I had to put up a sarong on the window – too much light means washed out face. I have a fear of messing up so hope all goes well. I had Mr. G help me last night with the headset and he was having difficulty connecting the speakers and getting the sound right. He was pretty frustrated which made me worried since he’s a techie guy .
I think we got it right………..so fingers crossed!
I’m assembling all of my supplies and books so they can be accessed easily during the spreecast – I’m upstairs and my supplies are downstairs so it’s a bit of a schlepp if i forget something.
Because I have difficulty talking and drawing I’ll be sketching out some ideas so i can ink them in on camera.
There is so much stuff, ideas and life stories that i want to share – I’m sure I won’t get to all of them!
I thought I would share my story here to demonstrate that it’s good to “feel the fear and do it anyway” in life. You stay stuck if you let things like technology or not knowing how to do something prevent you from accessing your dreams!
See you later alligator!
Love, Violette xo
How do I give my creative dreams wings? Well it’s a long story – have you got an hour or two? Just kidding – I’ll give you the Coles note’s version AND a mind map to illustrate how some of it unfolded. My Creative Dreams are a work in progress – I like to think of my dreams as a journey. To be truthful I’m not one of those folks who map out the next 5, 10 or 20 years in a sitting and then pretty much manage to manifest them all! For me it’s been an organic process. I wanted to inspire women to embrace who they are through the vehicle of their creativity. The best way to do this was to share my journey with them.
If you want to skip this long blog post then you could just check out this mind map for the pared down version of how i gave my creative dream wings.
1. The Magic Cottage – What got the ball rolling in an exciting way is when I surrounded myself with my Tribe of people – I call them my Bohemian Tribe. These are friends from all walks of life who are funky, creative, spiritual and some of them are eccentric to boot! They believed in my vision and encouraged me along the way when I stumbled and was letting fear get the best of me. It all started with my magic cottage – I bought a plan white and baby blue cottage which I transformed with the help and encouragement of my Bohemian Tribe into a colourful oasis of joy, bliss and creativity! Painting the cottage just the way I liked it and listening to the inner voice that encouraged me to follow what I loved opened many doors. My home was featured on Weird Homes TV show along with a number of other shows. It was also featured in magazines and newspaper articles.
2. Magazines – I had always wanted to see my artwork featured in magazines. I knew folks liked my whimsical and inspirational art but didn’t know how to get it featured in magazines. I was invited to feature work in Artella Magazine many years ago (after joining their online community) – that was the beginning! Then I was featured in Cloth Paper Scissors, Somerset Studios, Altered Couture, Scrapbooking and Beyond, Studios, Creative Homes and more! Most magazines have submission guidelines online that you can check out before sending your submissions in. Along the way I was nurtured and encouraged by an online community that formed on my blog’s forum called the GPS – Glitter Power Sisters. They were so awesome, encouraging and supportive! I did eventually meet some of the GPS in Arizona – we created our own personal retreat.
I began blogging 9 years ago and so that too was very instrumental in making many of my dreams a reality. Blogging was the thread that wove through all of these diverse dreams.
3. Journal Bliss (my book) – one of my dreams from many, many years ago was to have my own book. After being featured in magazines I became more known and when I was asked to submit art for Kaleidoscope (a mixed media book) and also Living the Creative Life I jumped at the opportunity. Being featured in those books opened the door to pitching my own book idea and VOILA! A dream came true with the publication of Journal Bliss five years ago. I felt truly blessed to be able to encourage and inspire women to be more creative by art journaling their lives. What a rush!
4. Glittergirl Van – One of the greatest joys of my life was having the opportunity to paint my van! It all happened organically when I heard that the cast of a TV show was going to be filming at an art car festival in Vancouver. They were on the lookout for Women Art car artists. I had e-mailed the folks to let them know I’d like to paint my van – I had also mentioned I’d appeared on the TV show Weird Homes. So they invited me to visit them on site and they interviewed me extensively. I told them what I had planned on doing. And then – I HAD TO DO IT!! Ack! They wanted me to photo document the process of painting the van which I did. Later, they pieced the photos and my interview together for a show on Women and Art cars. I had so many creative adventures with my van which I dubbed Glittergirl. It was painted with inspiring quotes, and joyful images not to mention glitter. Glittergirl sparked many transformative conversations. GG is now in art car heaven but her memory lives on through the door which graces my backyard garden!
5. Violette TV – Another creative dream was to have my own TV show. About 15 years ago I had a story idea for a TV show called the Creative Spirit. I pitched a couple of networks my brilliant idea but was sadly rejected. I gave up on that idea for many years. Seven years ago I was surfing Youtube when I came across a video from Suzi Blu – I felt I had found a kindred spirit! I loved what she was doing and proceeded to ask her some questions. Suzi was very gracious – she kindly gave me a bit of advice and encouragement about cameras and editing programs. So off I trundled to buy a video camera and an editing program and created my own YouTube channel. Unbeknownst to me I HAD created my own TV show which I tentatively called Violette TV. I have created over 60 videos! Next I plan on starting the interview creative people in my own community. One never knows what will happen next until you step forward and take a chance.
6. Creative Community – my next adventure is to create an online community so that’s what is in the works right now – I’m looking for a good platform to deliver videos, podcasts and ideas.
So you see – giving your creative dreams wings is not always a linear process – it’s important to follow the breadcrumbs and let your dream unfold gradually. It really helps if you have guides or Sherpas along the way – speaking of which Andrea Schroeder is such a person. She is hosting a blog hop in celebration of a special Give your Dreams Wings e-course :
The Give Your Dream Wings Blog Hop is a peek inside the process of how inspiring people make the magic happen. We’ve got some of the internet’s most inspiring bloggers sharing how they give their dreams wings – what they do that supports, nurtures and encourages their tender dreams to come to life. Click here to find out about the free e-course and to read the other crazy inspiring posts in this Blog Hop.
This is happening in celebration of the new e-course of the same name by Andrea Schroeder of the Creative Dream Incubator. The Give Your Dream Wings e-course shows you how to nurture and grow YOUR dream, for free, in only 10 minutes a day. You do not have to wait until you have more time or money! Love Violette xo
This is happening in celebration of the new e-course of the same name by Andrea Schroeder of the Creative Dream Incubator. The Give Your Dream Wings e-course shows you how to nurture and grow YOUR dream, for free, in only 10 minutes a day. You do not have to wait until you have more time or money!
Love Violette xo
My friend Christine from Elemental Roots (i jumped the gun – the site will be live in a couple of days – sorry) asked me to create some illustrations for her new Gluten free website. I don’t ordinarily do illustrations for others since I generally like to work on my own visions but thought since she’s a friend and we’re part of the same Mastermind group that I would give it a go! Thank you Christine for letting me create your cast of characters and help your vision come true!
I had such fun creating these whimsical characters. Christine was born in England and was raised on Fairy tales populated by fairies, gnomes and elves so she wanted to bring these characters to life via her website and her new Gluten free business.
As most of us know the great majority of us are visual so it helps to bring in a visual component to jazz up text and create interest.
The cool thing is that because the character Christine envisioned (for herself) and her whimsical support staff she’ll be able to create fun presentations by dressing up and employing the use of props such as a garden gnome and hand out colouring sheets based on the images i created. These are some of the fun ideas we came up with together during our brainstorming sessions.
This is what i do in my mojo sessions with you – brainstorm fun ideas for your business along with practical suggestions. If you’d like a mojo session with me I’d love to help you make your creative dreams come true!
Enjoy the weekend!
Love, Violette xo
- Want to Receive My Newsletter Each Month and Get Specials, Coupons, Art News & Workshop Updates?
7:49 pm, November 28, 2010