inspiration, creativity and how to's

Go make Art with your Stuff!

July7

supplies1

If you are anything like me you have AMASSED huge volumes of STUFFArt Making Stuff that you may never get the chance to use.  If you have the crow mentality after reading a magazine article about a new art technique you need to rush out and buy all of the materials!  I was inspired by Rice Freeman Zachary’s article on Create Mixed Media: It’s not about the Stuff.  Rice is right – you don’t really need more stuff to be creative – don’t get caught in the trap that you need everything just so before you can dive in and create.  Many of us – myself included have an idyllic picture of an artist sitting at an easel, sipping tea or a glass of wine whilst painting with the best of supplies.  In reality it’s just not like that – at least not in my world!

My favourite and most often used supplies are micron pens, pencil and colour making materials such as twinkling H2O’s or watercolour pencil crayons. I don’t even like painting on canvas – i much prefer inexpensive pieces of wood. Often i will use Mr. G’s offcuts from his wood projects to paint small icons or illustrations on.  You don’t need canvas to make a painting – in fact it’s perfectly fine to paint on wood – many artists do – i much prefer the texture of wood over canvas!

What do you love to create with and on what substrate (surface)? I’d love to know!

Raw Art Journaling giveaway

There is a contest going on over at Create Mixed Media – creativity coach Quinn McDonald is giving away a copy of her book Raw Art Journaling, one hour of creativity coaching with Quinn and an Inner Critic plushie (created by Rita Ackerman). How fun is that?  I have drawn my inner critic in a number of different ways but have never created a 3D version of him – that’s always been on the backburner!

Check out this podcast that Rice has with Cindy O’Leary – organizer of “An Artful Journey” mixed media art retreat.  Rice’s interviews are always so informative and down to earth!

signature

Be Sociable, Share!
    10 Comments to

“Go make Art with your Stuff!”

1. On July 7th, 2011 at 5:19 pm Rita Ackerman Says:

I have followed your blog and your inspiration for quite a while and what a surprise to see my name pop up…along with Quinn and her wonderful new book. Thank you.
      rita

2. On July 7th, 2011 at 5:55 pm Virginia Says:

I agree 100%.

I get excited over all the new craft materials on the market and always want to buy out the store. But I think about the piles of stuff I have acquired I realize I must get the pile down before I run out and buy new stuff.

I don’t like painting on canvas. I like painting on wood. I found a gallery/woodworking shop where they toss out wonderful little pieces of scrap wood: already sanded and everything. I get it when I can. I get wood shapes from the craft store or the thrift shop.

An artiste just told me “you MUST always use the best art materials.” Nope. Don’t think so.

Thanks for this post.

3. On July 7th, 2011 at 9:16 pm bettyann Says:

I know I’m guilty as the next person in that regards…when I worked with seniors, I had a limited budget and worked with the scraps of wood, sometimes the backside of wood flooring etc..I loved
      picasso when he used scrapes of metal , wood and castoffs..thanks for the info on the contest..have a great day !!

4. On July 8th, 2011 at 10:24 am Jessie Says:

I love to see art created on all types of surfaces, the rougher the better! There’s something very satisfying about turning an old tatty thing into a thing of beauty isn’t there?xx

5. On July 8th, 2011 at 4:21 pm Monica Says:

Tho I am guilty of loving to buy new supplies, I also feel like a mom at times, LOVING ALL MY ART SUPPLIES EQUALLY (well.. almost equally). I think I would require life-support if someone took away my pens & markers.

6. On July 8th, 2011 at 9:20 pm admin Says:

Monica – too funny! I’m like you! I used to tell my kids – you can use this but it’s my “very special pen”………to which they replied – all of your supplies are your “very special something…….”………ha!

Love, violette

7. On July 8th, 2011 at 9:21 pm admin Says:

Jessie – i totally agree with you. It’s like you are able to see the bones of the thing and determine that you can work magic from it!

Love, violette

8. On July 8th, 2011 at 9:22 pm admin Says:

Oh you sound like such a thrifty gal……..guess you had tiny funds – but then that does make you super creative at finding alternatives doesn’t it?
      I hope you are enjoying your day Bettyann! Thanks!

Love, violette

9. On July 8th, 2011 at 9:23 pm admin Says:

Virginia! Wow…..aren’t you lucky to have found such a wonderful supply of ready to use wood scraps! Ha – i love how you disregarded that artists suggestion about using the best supplies! You can always create something wonderful from humble supplies! Many artists have!

Love, violette

10. On July 8th, 2011 at 9:24 pm admin Says:

Hi Rita……oh thank you so much for piping up…….i really appreciate it! How nice that you are featured in Quinn’s book too! Yay!

Love, violette xo

Email will not be published

Website example