inspiration, creativity and how to's

Narrative Art Journaling

January16

journal_flu1

I was afraid he would spit on my records

I hope you all had a wonderful weekend?  As you can see i did – i actually created a journal page!  I am on the mend from the flu and conjunctivitis.  I knew that i was coming around the corner when on Saturday i actually started to draw some pictures – the doctor and me.  This journal page is all about a doctor’s visit on Friday.  It occurred to me that this kind of art journaling is Narrative Art Journaling I’m actually telling a story.  Often you will see journal pages which are focused around a quotation, lists, shapes like hearts or random ramblings.  For example some people will create backgrounds and borders with a focal point ahead of time leaving space around the image for journaling later on.  Later while at a cafe the artist will journal what is on their mind. The image and journaling often have nothing to do with each other. The above journal page is really a story – it’s all about my journey with the flu.  I often find a bit of humour in it and decide to share that along with my frustration on a journal page.

As you can see on the above page i wrote my story on the background – some of it is obscured by the image of the doctor. The story is about finally going to the doctors on Friday for conjunctivitis and to ask if my flu symptoms were normal.  I went to the walk-in clinic, the receptionist was grumpy and so was the doctor.  The doctor barely said two words while examining me – i told him my ears were plugged from the flu so i could not hear him.  The doctor checked my throat, chest, eyes then began to write a prescription.  He handed it to me and said “put two drops in your eye every 4 hours” and then he began to leave.  I shouted after him “HEY!!!!!!!  Do i have conjunctivitis???” and he said “Yes”.

Needless to say i was very annoyed with the doctor and the receptionist and thought about writing a letter of complaint. I told Mr. G about it and as i did i thought out loud “i could get into trouble with them and maybe they would be mean to me?  What’s the worst that could happen?  They could spit on my records!”  I was just riffing on waiters and waitresses who spit on their customers food when they have complained too much. When i said this Mr. G burst into gales of laughter and afterwards it was all good Smile.

Journal_flu1

Here is how the page began – remember the other day i only had the energy to do an experiment with tea and coffee stains?  Well i used that as a background as well as the face drawn on the painted book page – they were both to be incorporated into the composition.

Journal_flu2

I drew the central characters on a piece of cardstock with micron pens.

Journal_flu3

The background is painted with a few colours – scrapped them on the page with a credit card.  The image of the face is glued down and a bit of green paint is added to the face to blend it a bit into the background.

Journal_flu4

I coloured the characters in with coloured pencils.  As you can see i had to swirl some gesso over the face and the background to push the bright paint back a bit.  I wanted the attention to be on the characters.  What i often will do at this point is stand up on a stool while looking down at the composition to see if it looks okay.

journal_flu_detail

Before gluing down the characters i wrote my story in pencil.  I also fancied up some letters with a white signo pen, micron pens and pencil crayons.

I hope you have enjoyed my little step by step journal page tutorial and create your own Narrative art journal page!

It’s my son Ryan’s birthday today!  Happy birthday – i love you!

signature

Be Sociable, Share!
    14 Comments to

“Narrative Art Journaling”

1. On January 16th, 2012 at 6:30 pm julie :) Says:

Happy Birthday to your son Ryan!

Excellent tutorial and hilarious story about the doctor’s visit. Glad you are feeling a little better.

Earlier, I mentioned that I ordered your book for the local library. It’s always out on loan. What a popular book!

2. On January 16th, 2012 at 7:23 pm Wendy Says:

I’m glad to hear you’re on the mend and I love the page! The breakdown of how you achieved the result is really helpful.
      When I’m debating with myself about what choice to make I often ask myself “what’s the worst that could happen?” The results aren’t usually as hilarious as your though!

3. On January 16th, 2012 at 8:21 pm Donna Says:

I’m sorry to hear your experience with the doctor was so disappointing but I love your journal page! Thank you for sharing it, and the process you went through to create it. Happy Birthday to Ryan too.
      D~~~~

4. On January 16th, 2012 at 10:21 pm Dale Anne Potter Says:

Glad you are feeling better!
      I don’t let other people get me down anymore, if they are grumpy, I SMILE and say have a NICE DAY. No ONE, absolutely no one is going to bring me down except me – so if a clerk, waitress, nurse, doctor or whoever is have their bad day, it doesn’t have to be one for me!
      Hope the perscription is working for you Violette!
      HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Ryan – hope he has an AWESOME DAY!!!

5. On January 16th, 2012 at 10:24 pm Shannon Ganshorn Says:

I love it when you put a step-by-step in :) It helps us visulaise your process.

Happy Monday!

Shannon

6. On January 17th, 2012 at 3:25 am Suzana Says:

The last thing you need when you’re not feeling great is a ‘professional carer’ like that. :(

LOVE the way you turned it around with humour and creativity. My favourite part is the portrait on the painted book page!

Happy Birthday, Ryan!!!

7. On January 17th, 2012 at 7:30 pm Beth Pollock Says:

Happy Birthday to Ryan! Glad to see you are on the mend! Oh my gosh, I love that journal page! Hmmm, I must try the story telling idea for my some of my journal pages. Great idea!
      Hugs,
      Beth P (a newbie on the Violette block :D )

8. On January 18th, 2012 at 7:07 pm admin Says:

thank you Beth! I’ll pass along the bd wishes. I think you will LOVE narrative art journaling – it’s a great way to exorcise what is going on in your life and often in doing so you just might find the humour in it!

Love, violette

9. On January 18th, 2012 at 7:08 pm admin Says:

Thank you Suzana for always being so supportive. I’ll pass along the wishes to Ryan!

Love, Violette

10. On January 18th, 2012 at 7:09 pm admin Says:

Glad you enjoyed it Shannon!

Love, Violette

11. On January 18th, 2012 at 7:09 pm admin Says:

Dale Anne – you are so positive and can stay focused on the good so well – you are amazing! Thanks for the wishes for my son!

Love, Violette

12. On January 18th, 2012 at 7:10 pm admin Says:

thank you Donna! Glad you liked the journal page. Thanks for the birthday wishes for my son too!

love violette

13. On January 18th, 2012 at 7:12 pm admin Says:

thanks Wendy! I think you just need to have a certain mindset – i’ve had lots of “stuff ” happen in my life that used to depress me to no end – now i know how to turn them around much quicker – so much better……….why not give it a whirl?

love violette

14. On January 18th, 2012 at 7:12 pm admin Says:

thank you Julie! Glad you like the story. Hey – that makes me so happy to hear that Journal BLiss is a popular book :)

Love, Violette

Email will not be published

Website example